Thursday, October 24, 2013

Houston, we are ready for you!

It was a brisk, chilly morning here in Rochester, New York. When I got into my car this morning the temperature gauge read 35 degrees! Brrr...

As I sit here with a hot cup of tea, I can't help but dream of warmth and glowing sun rays. A quick glance at Houston's weather forecast tells me it is already a balmy 80 degrees. While I'm certainly not a meteorologist, I think it's safe to say that Houston in mid-February will be a welcomed relief from the chilling temperatures elsewhere. And I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather view the great outdoors with the windows open and the sun streaming inside than through frost ridden glass!

                                                           via                                                                                                           via


In any case, like many of my drifting thoughts, especially ones that are near the lunchtime hour, I often find myself thinking about food. So to make a long story short, today we are going to dive into the culinary mecca of Houston!

In my opinion, one of the best ways to understand and appreciate a culture is through their food. Houston is an urban metropolis, which lends itself to a variety of fare. Located in the deep south, it's only appropriate that Houston houses some of the tastiest fried chicken and BBQ in the state of Texas. I don't know about you, but the warm, buttery taste of crispy chicken sounds pretty delightful right about now...

It should also go without saying that Houston's proximity to the Mexico border lends itself to authentic Mexican dishes in a way many parts of the country are unfamiliar with. The same can be said about the city's fresh seafood. Situated close to the Gulf of Mexico, snapper, grouper and mussels are a must have in Houston. In addition, when the New York Times reviews a restaurant as a top spot, it's worth both a peek and a taste. 

Do you have any favorite Houston dining hot spots?

For a complete listing of the city's award winning restaurants, click here!

Bon appétite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment